CAT'S EYES

This spot is dedicated to the world and how I see it.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

...AS OF NEXT WEEK
8 May 2007

Uncertainty, what would life be without it? We try to plan our days, years and entire lives. When something comes inbetween the plan and reality, we get irritated and anxious. This includes myself. After all, money is needed for rent and food.

As of next week I will be, as I like to view it, on 'sabbatical'. That is in sharp contrast to the last three months when I have been working as a policy consultant at one of Brussel's most known think tanks. Today I published my report, which directly feeds into the European Commission's policy proposals in a specific area (application of Community law).

However, as of next week, I am out of work.

But in the last month or so I have gotten used to that thought and it does not scare me any longer. In fact I like the thought of having time off. Time!! How often does it happen in your professional life that you have time to reflect about your next step? Once you are in there, earning your money, it seems very scary not to ... I have come to believe that 'sabbatical' can be a very special opportunity.

Of course timing is crucial. It is one thing if this time comes when you have a mortgage and children when there is no way you can survive without cash. It is another thing if this time comes as it does for me: I indeed need time and space to reflect over an indeed very central aspect: Where I want to live.

I am Swedish but have been living abroad since year 1999. I am starting to feel an urge to move back (at least for a while) to re-discover my own country and make up my mind if it is where I want to settle. And, in order to decide that, I need to go 'home' for a while to see how I feel about it. It could be such a big transformation and in order to have my full senses aware and present, it can not be rushed.

So, uncertainty does not necessarily mean that you are 'lost'. It can actually be just the opposite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home