CAT'S EYES

This spot is dedicated to the world and how I see it.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

THANK YOU SO MUCH
18 July 2007


Some days everything just seems crap: the news, documentaries about the end of the world, rain, dodgy people, poverty, illnesses ... There is no absence of things that can put a weight on ones heart these days.

But then again, there are lovely things too. Simple things which can make me so happy, filling my body with sparks, making me full of hopes for humanity. Two very simple, but yet great things came my way today:

The first part of the first thing was annoying though: I have just moved into my new flat in Brussels and have been trying to get Internet. These things may take a while in Belgium (despite me living right next to the European Commission). I signed up for Clear W're, this new company which offers 3rd generation Internet, connected through a modem which sends radio signals rather than using the phone line. With Clear W’re I had Internet for one day. Now that's annoying - just when you think you got a good deal and are sorted! Gone! Apparently due to 'saturation', too many Eurocrats have signed up with Clear W're in my area.

Anyway, the technician guy came within one hour after I called him to sort out the problem. He was so sweet, bless him. He diagnosed the problem quickly and called up his boss begging to find a way to give me the holy Internet "...it's very important for me client, she's from Sweden and really needs Internet..." But I guess when something is "saturated", that's it, it’s full and there is not space for one more drop. (Unless they would set up a new antenna, seulement pour moi, today.) The technician expressed how sorry he was at least 5 times and there was no way I could be upset - despite having to face the jungle of Belgian Internet providers (and sky-high fees) again.

If it wasn't for my neighbour, the Danish national expert Paol, from my native neighbour city Copenhagen. He lives one floor down. I met him for the first time yesterday in the stairwell when we were both trying to find out why the entire house had an electricity-black out. We ventured down with his torch to the basement and, eventually, found the god-blessed switch.

I kept Paol in mind and since he seemed nice I thought I might as well ask him about his Internet connection/provider. Maybe we could share and I pay him half the fee, like 20 Euros/month? I knocked on his door and after not even one minute he offered me the password for his connection! And he said that since he would pay anyway, I could use his connection for free. Now that makes me so happy. I’ll definitely buy him a nice bottle of wine or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home